Building another 100-day habit:
- Review 1 Storytelling With Data challenge gallery per week.
- Pick 1 submission per weekday and tweet its link. Identify:
- 1 effective / theft-worthy feature
- 1 idea for improvement
- A takeaway title
- Stick to time budget of 15–30 minutes per day, before 10:30 PM Eastern
- Critiquing models—for both strengths and weaknesses—is one of my most effective learning habits: in writing, teaching writing, UI design… so why not also dataviz unto data stories?
- I will learn more by practicing this habit frequently.
- Continuing this habit over 20 weeks will build a nice collection of 100+ models that I can revisit in future.
- Building this collection on Twitter will force me to be pithy while turning that account to good use (given that I prefer personal communication but see the value of making work visible online).
- Sticking to clear time limits will help me prioritize (get to the point faster!).
Each Saturday, write a mini-recap in my wrex (30–45 minutes). Flexible week to week:
- Pick 5 ahead of time or as I go?
- Include 0, 1, or 2 additional selections in my mini-recap?
- Read recap by SWD team before, during, after, or not at all?
- Take an extra 1–3 hours and try the challenge myself?
SWD currently has 39 challenges online, 1 per month from January 2018 onward. The next 20 weeks will add another 5, for April through August. Here are my top 5+5 of current interest:
# refers to total submissions (minus recap)
|mobile||adapt a chart or dashboard created for monitor||20||2019 Aug|
|tables||design a table that fits its purpose & content well||57||2020 Sep|
|maps||identify data that lends itself well to a map||58||2021 Mar|
|b&w||make an effective monochromatic communication||40||2020 Jun|
|bars & lines||plot both together in a way that makes sense||48||2019 Nov|
Grouped in 4 clusters of 5 weeks.
Pick a small reward for each 25-day milestone! Worked well with my CollectUI-browsing habit in 2019/2020 (e.g. buy an ebook I’ve wanted).
1st milestone: May 1st
2nd milestone: June 5th
3rd milestone: July 10th
4th & final milestone: August 14th
Updated 2021 April, May, June, July 2 … Current total: 43 challenges.
Grouped by prompt category (my headings): message type (5), viz type (16), remake (8), other constraint (10), and expand horizons (4).
In reverse chronological order per category. Counts per gallery (#) are hyperlinked to recap by SWD team. Asterisks mark my initial top 10.
MESSAGE TYPE (5 challenges)
VIZ TYPE (16 challenges)
REMAKE (8 challenges)
OTHER CONSTRAINT (10 challenges)
EXPAND HORIZONS (4 challenges)